Chances of more Dnipro strike survivors in the Ukraine war are slim, says the mayor

After a Russian missile struck an apartment building in the eastern Ukrainian city of Dnipro on Saturday, the mayor of that city issued a dire warning that there might be no more survivors.

30 people died in the attack, while 44 more are still missing, according to local officials.

Borys Filatov, the mayor of Dnipro, said there was a “limited” prospect of discovering any survivors.

Russian President Vladimir Putin emphasized that military operations were going according to schedule while speaking to state television in Moscow.

On Saturday, assaults that Moscow said were directed at Ukraine’s military and energy infrastructure also affected Kyiv, Kharkiv, and Odesa.

The nine-story building’s entryway was struck by the devastating attack in Dnipro, which reduced many levels to smoldering ruins.

Ten of the about 70 persons who needed medical attention, according to Mr. Filatov, were “in a bad situation.”

Mateusz Morawiecki, the prime minister of Poland, referred to the missile strikes as “inhuman” and said that “Russia deliberately keeps on committing war crimes against civilians.”

“Everything is progressing within the parameters of the plan of the Ministry of Defence and the General Staff,” Mr. Putin said in a speech on national television.

The Russian people’s “cowardly silence” over the incident was denounced by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in his evening address on Sunday. He also mentioned that he had received numerous letters of sympathy from all across the world.

He addressed those “who even now could not say a few words of condemnation of this terror” in Russian before switching back to English.

Your attempt to “wait out” what is happening by remaining silent out of cowardice will only result in the reality that these same terrorists will eventually come after you.

He stated that two kids had been left as orphans and that the fatalities of the hit included a 15-year-old girl.

The most recent Russian attacks on Ukraine’s electrical grid occurred two weeks ago. Mr. Zelensky claimed on Saturday that the electricity infrastructure in the Kharkiv and Kyiv regions had been severely damaged.

Following the attacks, the national energy company of Ukraine, Ukrenergo, briefly implemented 24-hour consumption caps across the country. The upcoming days would be “tough,” according to German Galushchenko, the Ukrainian minister of energy.

On Sunday, Nato commander Jens Stoltenberg stated that Ukraine may anticipate increased shipments of heavy weaponry from Western nations.

According to Mr. Stoltenberg, “recent pledges for heavy military equipment are crucial, and I expect more in the near future.”

In an effort to “push Russian troops back,” UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said that his country will provide Challenger 2 tanks to Kyiv’s military forces on the same day that Russia launched its missile attack.

Moscow’s argument was that giving Ukraine more weaponry will result in increased Russian military activity and civilian losses.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *